Thursday, 11 July 2013

Review of Incubus by Carol Goodman

Although I write, I do read a quite a lot so I thought I'd start posting my reviews of books I've read on my blog as well as the usual places, Goodreads etc. I only write short reviews and do not include spoilers! All reviews are my own opinion and, unless stated, I have not been given a free copy for review.

I'm kicking off with a really absorbing book by Carol Goodman, called Incubus. I love the cover of this one:


The blurb:

In a town built on magic, be careful what you dream...

Ever since moving to Fairwick to take up a teaching post at the local college, Callie has been having vivid, erotic dreams about a man made out of moonlight and shadows. Dreams she begins to fear as well as anticipate...

She learns that her home - a Victorian cottage at the edge of a wood - is supposedly haunted. And then her new - and rather strange - colleagues tell her a local legend about an incubus demon with a human past who was enchanted by a fairy queen...

My thoughts:

Incubus (Fairwick Chronicles, #1)Incubus by Carol Goodman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

'Incubus' is the first book I've read by Carol Goodman. I picked it up in paperback, drawn both by the name and cover. I know the myths of Incubi so I was intrigued to read this story. I really enjoyed this, I found it absorbing after reading the first few pages or so. The imagery was created very well - the Victorian house Cailleach moved in to, the woods, the college, the whole lot!

There's a great mix of characters. At times I found myself feeling sorry for the incubus, then disliking him, before reeling back to wanting there to be a happy outcome for him, and of course, Callie. I enjoyed this book so much I ordered the second in The Fairwick Chronicles as soon as I closed the last page!

View all my reviews on Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment