Saturday, 10 November 2012

Christmas Memories of Mum


This morning, as I sat watching The Decoy Bride (treating myself to a break from writing!) and the main character explained how her mother was dying, thoughts turned to my own mum who died in 2010 after bravely fighting breast cancer, surviving for eight more wonderful years before the beast (there were eight expletives here - typed with tensed, clawed fingers pre-edit) returned and devoured her.

Strong, loving, and courageous even as she lay in her bed, an uncomfortable oxygen mask upon her face, she never stopped being my mum. Christmas time is always hard, not just the actual day but the time leading up to it. We would eagerly snatch up early Christmas decorations as they appeared on the shelves at the end of October (usually from TK Maxx at Westwood Cross. We loved TK Maxx, it stole our hours from us).

Time will not heal the hole in my life my mum left behind but I carry that hole as part of me, the same as I carry her for ever in my heart. I will always wish she could have held my first ever novel in her hand, so in this lead up to Christmas time, I can only remember the many shopping trips we shared and for her I write a first Christmas novella, Unveiling Christmas. Maybe now it is time I started a new Christmas tradition - writing a festive themed story each year, each dedicated to my brave mother.


Do you have a Christmassy thing you do every year? Do you snap up pre-Christmas bargains and squirrel them away for the festive season? What's your favourite thing about Christmas?

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, Gina and very moving. I too lost my mum in January 2010 - she had Alzheimers for 10 years! But we carry them always with us and a large part of what we are is down to them.

    Looking forward to reading your novella and love the idea of a themed one each Christmas.

    Tara x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tara. So sorry about your mum too. I completely agree with you about the carry them with us.

      I'm working furiously on the novella and hope to have it out within a week and half!

      Gina x

      Delete
  2. I love your idea of doing something each year to commemorate your mum.

    I lost my mum in 2004, just a few days after Christmas and there isn't a day that goes by when I don't think about her. We both loved Christmas and, like you and your mum we spent hours together shopping for presents, wrapping them, decorating and re-decorating our trees etc. I don't do anything special in her memory but I think, after reading this, I might just start this Christmas.

    Thanks for that and good luck with the novella. Looking forward to reading it.

    Denise x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise,

      Thanks for your comments. Sorry to hear about your mum and Christmas seems a bittersweet time I think.

      Gina x

      Delete
  3. Hi Gina .. as Denise says .. I love the thought of you doing something every year for your mother .. and I'll be by for your "Unveiling Christmas" book ... and to collect my prize - belatedly sometime!

    I'm so sorry for your loss - but you have those happy days of bumbling around amongst the baubles and bangles .. with all those delightful comments of oooh aaaah .. Mum have you seen these ... etc etc ..

    This will be my first year without my mother .. and I have happy memories of decorating her room for her - each year getting simpler in my approach .. thankfully she lived a long life and achieved much considering the challenges she faced ...

    Your mother sounds so lovely and happy and comforting to be around ... blessings are made during those final years .. writing a novella/novel each year sounds a glorious idea ..

    Many thoughts and hugs .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilary,

      Thank you for your kind comments and sorry to hear about your mum but it's lovely to read some of your happy memories.

      Thoughts and hugs returned. Gina x

      Delete
  4. A lovely tribute to a much loved Mum. :)

    ReplyDelete