Friday, 26 October 2012

The Spellbindingly Fun Blog Party!


Today I'm taking part in The Spellbindingly Fun Blog Party to celebrate the launch of Janice Horton's romantic and humorous Halloween novella, How Do You Voodoo? Isn't the cover fab? I think so! Here's a little about the tale:

Loveless fashion model Nola Nichols thinks being beautiful is a curse; that is until she is cursed and her looks begin to fade just a week before the most important photo shoot of her career.

Nola rejects all rational explanation on what might be causing her lost looks and decides she has to find a way to get uncursed. This imaginative quest takes her from the Caribbean to Glasgow’s own City of the Dead. Along the way, she finds herself taking part in a rather unconventional funeral, involved in a voodoo ritual, reveals one or two unrests in her own past and falls madly in love with a doctor. Erm, that would be a witch doctor, right...?




Now for my spell I decided to opt for something really, really, really important...


For The Want of Princessy-Hair

Oh hair, hair I do despair,
Make thee-self long and lustrous fair,
With regret, I clip for thee
A lock of mine own stubby hair.

I mix it all in a carved out toadstool.
With a twig of Hawthorne as my spoon,
Kissing my lucky wolf’s paw wishing
That the magic works real soon!

For the spell to surely work
I dance barefoot on a bed of Scotsman’s beard clippings,
Singing sweetly while manically snipping
A single rose into the boil
Being heated by the stench of Haggis scented oil.

I tiptoe around a sleeping beast,
Wishing upon my worry stone I will not be his midnight feast
And collect a vial of his dragon tears,
To soak into an Afghan dog’s-ear,
Creating exponential growth of hairness you see
For I want mine long and Princessy.

Now my potion’s done and made
I shovel it atop my head with a Thistledown magic spade,
Lather it up with a litre of refined toad-sweat,
I’ll look gorgeous - I just bet!

To top it off and keep it in place
I cover it neatly with a spider’s web from Bruce’s cave.
Now all that’s left to finally do
Is sit cross legged holding aloft a Pixie Dust encrusted shoe
Until the mixture turns crispy and skull-tight
Under the swirls of the Northern Lights.

Three long days have dragged and gone
My throat is hoarse from singing stupid princessy hair songs,
I crack the shell from my head
With chewed off nail clippings stolen from a giant’s bed.

And there to reveal, in my looking glass of moonstone
Is a mass of Princessy hair,
As silky soft to the touch as a velveteen seal
And far longer than Rapunzel’s had ever been.

But wait, it’s still growing...and growing...and growing...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now, please excuse me while I dig myself out of this tangled disaster and make another spell - if that doesn't work then, well, the house will have nice new hairy carpets...

Whisk yourself over to Janice's Author Blog and visit all the other party-goers too! 

Find out more about Janice and her novels:
Janice Horton lives in Scotland and writes contemporary romance with humour. Her novels ‘Bagpipes & Bullshot’ and ‘Reaching for the Stars’ are both Amazon Kindle bestsellers. Her latest title ‘How Do You Voodoo?’ is a romantic and humorous novella for Halloween and out now!
Follow Janice on Twitter: @JaniceHorton  Like her Author Facebook Page
Featured Author & Associate Editor at: 
Loveahappyending.com
Link to Janice's ebooks on Amazon.co.uk  Link to Janice's ebooks on Amazon.com

10 comments:

  1. Ha, Gina, I'm with you all the way. Fabulous spell, well done! :-) Have a great voodoo party... xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness - oh princess-haired one - is this a case of be careful what you wish for?

    I do hope you are looking gorgeous after all you went through to get your long long long princess hair - and not least in the writing of such a fantastic spell!

    Thanks for all your fantastic princessy support Gina!

    Love Janice xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janice! Yes - most definitely a case of be careful what you wish for! I would shake my princessy hair but it's soooo heavy! Wishing you lots of success with How Do You Voodoo?!

      Delete
  3. What a delightful and original spell. Need a hair spell for my mop too. Have fingers crossed it works for you. If not, don't worry, just have another voodoo cocktail and all will put itself right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kit! Thanks for stopping by and these voodoo cocktails are scrummy...hic!

      Delete
  4. What a great spell! Your golden, princessy tresses are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he he! Thanks, Melanie, currently brushing them now! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. Brilliant! I want Princessy hair too! But not all over the floor . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Jean! Princessy hair is soooo hard to manage!

      Delete