Saturday, 20 October 2012

A Shadow in The Past by Melanie Robertson-King


I'm pleased to welcome Melanie Robertson-King today who is talking about her book, A Shadow in The Past. So, over to Melanie:

Thanks for having me on your blog today, Gina.

Tell us a little about your book:

It’s a YA Crossover time-travel with romantic elements set in Scotland. (Saving the good bit for the blurb *grin*) entitled A Shadow in the Past. My one-liner is When a contemporary teen is transported back through time to the Victorian era, she becomes A Shadow in the Past.

What did you enjoy the most about writing it?

I loved researching the Victorian Era. I was fascinated by the things I discovered especially the strange death customs. But even better than the research, I loved the fact I was writing about the area where my father was born and I’ve visited many times.

What has been your favourite moment throughout the whole experience?

I’ve had a few and each one trumps the one before. First was the contract offer, then it was holding my book in my hands for the first time, making my first sale, and then hosting a launch in my hometown where I sold 22 copies.

Did you click your ruby-slippers heels when in Kansas?

No, and I only had them on for a short time because the event was outdoors and my heels would have sunk into the soft ground. But they were with me and I put them on for a few photo ops. When my editor and I drove back from Topeka to the airport in Kansas City, I looked over at her and said, “We’re not in Kansas anymore.” The airport is just over the Kansas/Missouri border.

About A Shadow in The Past:

When nineteen year old Sarah Shand finds herself in Victorian Era Aberdeenshire, Scotland, she has no idea how she got there. Her last memory is of being at the stone circle on the family farm in the year 2010.

Despite having difficulty coming to terms with her situation, Sarah quickly learns she must keep her true identity a secret.

Still, she feels stifled by the Victorians’ confining social practices, including arranged marriages between wealthy and influential families, confronts them head on and suffers the consequences.
When Sarah realizes she has fallen in love with the handsome Laird of Weetshill, she faces an agonizing decision. Does she try to find her way back to 2010 or remain in the past with the man she loves?





About Melanie:

I consider myself a romance writer but write in other genres, too. Currently, ten of my non-fiction articles have been published, with one being a feature cover article.

My father was a Home Child who came to Canada through the auspices of The Orphan Homes of Scotland. My article Always a Home Boy is his and his siblings story. I also speak to local historical and genealogical societies on the subject of Home Children.

I love to read but now that I’m writing, I have to be careful what I choose. I don’t want things from other people’s writings finding their way into my own work. So, to that end, I try to read from totally different genres. I don’t think I could write it effectively, but I love to read crime fiction.

My other interests include genealogy, especially the study of Home Children, photography and travel – particularly Scotland because of my kinship with my father’s homeland. It was on a trip to Scotland, that I had the honour of meeting The Princess Royal.

Where to buy A Shadow in The Past:


Melanie's Links:

Author Blog: Celtic Connexions http://www.melanierobertson-king.com/wp02/
Facebook Author Page    Twitter Account: @RobertsoKing 

Thanks for appearing on this blog, Melanie, I really enjoyed your comments and learning about how close to your heart the setting for your novel is.
 I too love photography and shoes - of course!
 Wishing you heaps of success with A Shadow in The Past.

14 comments:

  1. Fabulous post ladies! I can't wait to read this novel by Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Mandy! I agree, the novel sounds fabulous!

      Delete
    2. So glad you dropped by, Mandy.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for hosting me here today, Gina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome, Melanie, it's wonderful to have you!

      Delete
  3. Great post. Good luck with book, Melanie. On my TBR pile. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kit, thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Kit! So glad you dropped by.

      Delete
  4. On my tbr, too, Melanie! Best of luck, sweetie! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post - I loved the photo of you with your book Melanie. What an exciting time you have had launching A Shadow in the Past. Wishing you great success!

    Janice xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Janice!

      Delete
    2. So glad you dropped by, Janice. I don't think that ear-to-ear grin left my face that entire weekend. What a fab time it was.

      Delete