Friday, 19 March 2010

Remembering Mum

I haven’t blogged for a while due to the passing of my much cherished mum on the 20th February 2010.

My mum bravely battled cancer from her first diagnosis of the disease in 2002. She fought off one form of cancer, endured operations, radiotherapy and years of chemotherapy. For a while we crossed fingers that Mum had successfully won the battle until the cancer returned in her lungs. Even with diminished physical strength my mum continued to work and show extreme strength of character, worrying how it would affect me.

Always having been close to my mum I have found this difficult to deal with but have been inspired by my mum’s strength.

1st October 2009 the doctors diagnosed Mum with only having a few months left to live. We promptly booked a family holiday for my mum, dad, husband, my son and I.

1st December 2009 the next diagnosis was for a few days but Mum again surpassed the diagnosis and we celebrated Christmas together. Mum continued with her strength and determination until the cancer took its toll on the 20th February.

My dad and I arranged Mum’s cremation and funeral together. There was an amazing turnout for her funeral on the 3rd March 2010, most of her friends from her workplace attended and contributed to a beautiful butterfly shaped floral arrangement, which at the time of writing this, is still alive and sitting on my garden table.

We donated the remaining flowers to the local Hospice, where Mum spent a brief spell.

I am so immensely proud of my mum, of what she achieved in her life, in how strong she was, her bravery, determination, consideration for others and in how much love she bestowed upon the people she cared for.

I love her, much more than any feeble words can ever say and I will carry her always within my heart but there will always be a mummy-shaped hole in my life.

The next post will be a poem that I wrote for my mum before we found out about her few months diagnosis.

No comments:

Post a Comment