Monday, 8 February 2010

Favourite Read

I love to read but this past year I’ve never seemed to have the time to devote to it like I used to.

Years ago, before my husband, I used to devour book after book. I would often sit after work, or at the weekend, with my head buried in the pages of a novel not resurfacing until I had absorbed every word. When I was a teenager I was exactly the same, waking in the morning I would reach for the book that lay next to my bed from the night before. I would walk to the kitchen with book in hand. I would visit libraries to buy a bagful of discarded books for some ridiculous price, say £1.00. I enjoyed the feel of an old, hardback, library book, the musty smell that defined them from new paperback books.

My favourite reading companion has always been a cup of tea (now changed from white, two sugars to green tea straight up), a cosy cardigan (in winter only), a soft seat or, in the summer months, a lounger in the garden with lemonade and lime (plus vodka occasionally).

I can choose a favourite place to read, a favourite drink to accompany that read, a favourite place to sit to consume those words, but can I choose a favourite book? I really don’t think that I can. I love, have loved, so many that to pick just one seems unfair. So, I decided to list a few of my favourites, in no particular order.

Jane Eyre – Charlotte Brontë

Time Without End – Linda Lael Miller

Bless The Child – Cathy Cash Spellman

The Eternal – Mark Chadbourn

Melusine – Lynne Reid Banks (one from my teen years)

All of the novels by Jill Mansell

There was a book I borrowed from the library when I was a teenager, it was entitled “Beauty” but I cannot remember the author. It was a rewrite of “Beauty and the Beast” but more of a YA novel. I remember it as such a beautiful book.

I could list more from the hundreds that I own and the hundreds that I’ve read but it really would take me an eternity to remember them all.

What is your favourite read? Do you have one or many?

No comments:

Post a Comment